Bio1 Systems TBI Monitoring Platform
Bio1 Systems is developing a patient monitoring platform for the management of traumatic brain injury (TBI), targeted for use by healthcare professionals. Our solution includes algorithms for adaptive, patient-specific functional recovery predictions and symptom tracking, and technologies for the care of patients with chronic TBIs lasting over 2 weeks post-injury. The AI-driven solution combines multiple TBI biomarkers (such as sleep data, vital signs, imaging and blood-based biomarkers) with demographics/co-morbidities data to predict functional recovery and the risk of developing secondary conditions.
- TBI is a significant public health issue affecting over 27 million world-wide.
- TBIs lead to long-term disability, decreased quality of life, and high healthcare costs.
- TBIs are the leading cause of death in patients under 45 years old, accounting for more than 1/3 of all injury-related deaths in the United States.
- Each year 52,000 people die and another 80,000 suffer morbidity from traumatic brain injury.
- Current TBI diagnostic and monitoring methods are limited, often relying on subjective symptoms.
Need for Improved Rehabilitative TBI Care
If left untreated, TBIs (all severity levels) will worsen.
- Leads to loss of work, school, and higher medical costs.
- Increases risk of developing chronic cardiovascular, endocrine, and neurological comorbidities.
- Substantially elevates risk of premature mortality, particularly from suicide, injuries, and assaults.
A major gap exists in TBI care and an Opportunity for improved remote patient monitoring.
Bio1 Systems’ Solution
Software: TBI functional recovery AI model
- Algorithms for adaptive, patient-specific predictions and recovery tracking.
Hardware: Remote patient monitoring (RPM) technologies for patients with chronic TBIs lasting > 2 weeks post-injury.
- Fills the gap between in-person patient visits
- May expand to include the management of other chronic neurological conditions.
Functional Recovery Model
- Combines multiple TBI biomarkers to predict functional recovery up to 6m post-injury.
- Blood-based biomarkers
- Demographics / Co-morbidities
- Data are extracted from a patient’s EHR and mobile app.
Target Providers include internists, family practice physicians, NPs, neurologists, PM&R physicians and others overseeing the care of TBI patients.